Pages

Saturday, January 5, 2013

December Update: Trim + Flat Iron + Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie


Happy New Year! Hope you had a wonderful holiday season with your friends and loved ones. The New Year is my favorite time of the year. Life feels so fresh and well new. It's time to check-in on goals and create fun new ones. With all the holiday parties and traveling I've done, I've held off on posting my December update until now.

What is the current length of your hair?
Stretched - The back is shoulder length when stretched and the sides are a couple of inches away from shoulder length. Little by little, I shall overcome the mullet shape that is my hair.






What products are you currently loving?
Avocado Oil - It does a great job of keeping my ends and scalp moisturized.

Aussie Moist - Still doing a wonderful job of keeping my hair moisturized and aiding in detangling!

Kinky Curly Knot Today  - I still refuse to pay 16.99 for the tiny 8 ounce the Kinky Curly Custard, however, this leave-in is my BFF. Love it! I always consider trying new leave-ins, but why fix what's not broken. Besides, you get your money's worth, a little goes a long way!






What products disappointed?
Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie - Not because it didn't enhance my curls, but it like my hair feel a bit dry. I was hoping for a leave-in/styling aid that would moisturize. It could be due to the cold, dry weather, so I'll hang on to it and try it in the summer or for twist outs, but definitely not for wash-n-gos. In any case, I'm not sure if I'll try any other products from the line.

What's your current regimen?
  • Cowash once per week or once every other 10 - 14 days.
  • Shampoo (using my special mixture), with rhassoul clay or by rubbing diluted vinegar on my scalp, once per month.
  • LOC (leave-in, oil, conditioner)
  • Style, preferably protective

How have you been styling your hair?
For the month of December I did a wash-n-gos and then played around with it in different stretched styles. This allowed me to achieve 6 - 7 day hair. Additionally, I flat-ironed my hair!! I was really pleased with the results. My hair looked thicker and had a nice shine to it.  I wore it down on day one, then in a donut bun for the remainder of the time.
Flat ironing is not something I plan on doing every month, but it was a nice end of the year treat. The style lasted two weeks. My morning routine was so quick!


What challenges have you faced?
Dry ends.

Any drastic changes to your regimen or hair?
I trimmed off 1.5 inches. They were not split, but they were dry and brittle. I did this after flat-ironing my hair and now it feels much better. I think I may start cutting a 1/2 inch every 3 months, if they feel a bit dry. I cut my hair when it was flat-ironed, which in my opinion was easier for me. I'll continue to cut it, when it's stretched, either in twists, blown out or flat-ironed.

Would you like to offer any hair advice for this month?
If your ends are dry and brittle, simply let them go and try to develop a rigorous hydration routine. Daily moisturizing and oiling + protective styling.

That's all for the month of December. Can't believe it's 2013!

No comments:

Post a Comment