Pages

Friday, March 23, 2012

Adventures with Rhassoul Clay

I have a new favorite natural product! In an earlier post, I discussed my interest in incorporating more natural products that are easy to use. Recently, I tried using rhassoul clay as my shampoo (and face wash). The results were amazing! My hair felt clean, yet moisturized. It doesn't feel too stripped, which can often occur with shampoos (even sulfate-free). I noticed that my hair was also lighter and had more volume (not that I need help in that department).

Here's how I applied it: 3 TBSP of clay in an applicator bottle filled with about 1 1/2 cups of water and a couple of drops of essential oil. Sectioned hair, shook up the bottle to blend ingredients, wet my hair, applied the entire bottle to head, concentrating on the scalp, gently massaged my scalp and work the clay throughout my hair, rinsed. Took about 3-5 minutes to wash and rinse out.

warnings: do not place the clay in a metal container nor mix it with a metal spoon, as this could change the properties of the clay.

rhassoul clay in applicator bottle

hair after washing out the clay

the random colors of my hair



Positives:
Soft, clean shiny hair
Noticeably less frizz
Easy to apply
Economical (little goes a long way)

Negatives:
no fragance (remedied this by adding an essential oil)
preparation before showering (only takes about 2 minutes, however)

P.S. - I've also done a cassia treatment on my hair. I will post results after I do a second treatment this weekend. I'm very happy with the results from my first treatment, but want to be sure it wasn't a fluke!

P.S. 2 - It's a good idea to do a vinegar rinse (my recipe = 1/4 c vinegar, 2 c water) after a rhassoul wash, as the ph of rhassoul clay is higher than neutral. 

No comments:

Post a Comment