Pages

Friday, March 23, 2012

Reduce Shrinkage

I try not to complain about shrinkage, because I think when my hair is long it will definitely work in my favor. I really want to enjoy the growth. Every time I exit the shower, I'm amazed at how much my hair has grown so much since my transition chop in December. However, after about 10 minutes, one would never know it has grown. And that my friend is shrinkage, my frienemy, who's been there with me through thick and thin.

Recently, I've worked out a few ways to stretch my hair and reduce my shrinkage. Here are some personal tips that work for me. You've probably seen most of these on hair blogs, but here it goes again. Since my hair is short, perhaps it will be helpful to those in the same stage.

Bantu knots
+ really nice wave pattern
+waking up and styling dry hair
--nighttime routine for short curly hair is not optimal, since it is not possible to pineapple the hair (gather it loosely on top). I don't have the time or patience to redo the knots at night.
--time-consuming

Twist-out
+really nice curl pattern
+less frizz (in comparison to the bantu knot)
+easier to style than the bantu knot
--nighttime routine for short curly hair is not optimal, since it is not possible to pineapple the hair (gather it loosely on top)
+-easier to redo twists than bantu knots, but still time consuming if you're a satin cap and sleep kind of girl, like myself.




Clip and Go
This is my variation of a wash-n-go. I wash the hair in sections, add my leave in, seal my ends with oil, then continue rubbing the hair in a downward motion to stretch it out. I place hair pins half-way down, to prevent my hair from shrinking up to the roots. Do this for all sections and let it air dry or blow dry on low. After a couple of hours I remove the pins. My hair shrinks less and I get a looser wave on top and curlier ends.

+Easy
+Fast
+Less manipulation than twists and bantus
+Less shrinkage than twist-out!
+-Have to redo the next day, but it only takes 5-10 minutes to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment